Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Five Ways to Prepare Your Toddler for a New Baby

Surprise, we're pregnant! We're due in just over 3 weeks and we're super, duper excited to be adding a precious little baby to the family!

I have been talking to my mom and aunt about some ways to help your toddler adjust to the first few weeks of of new baby that aren't difficult or tedious or so much work that I won't bother doing them when I am in recovering from labor.

For me, I have to have a second c-section, so I will have to recover from major surgery all while caring for a newborn and a toddler… I know, I am the first woman to ever have to contend with such a thing. Pity me.

I am the youngest of 3 children, so I have never had to deal with the insecurities and uncertainties of becoming a big sister. My brother and I are only 17 months apart but he remembers me coming home from the hospital very well. And my sister remembers both of us coming home. I am certain that at nearly 3, this will be something that Janni remembers really well and I want it to be a happy, joyful, and happy memory for her.

Knowing my daughter's (and probably most children as well) primary love languages are physical touch and gifts, I have made sure to keep these in mind when coming up with these 5 ways to help her adjust to the new baby.

A gift from baby/a from her: When Janni comes to meet her sibling for the first time in the hospital, I will make sure that we have a special gift for her that is “from the baby”. We plan on writing a card from the baby. Janni will also be allowed to pick out a special, baby appropriate gift for baby that she will be allowed to give to the baby when then meet. This will help her feel like even though a new baby is now part of our family, that she is still included and important.

Keeping to the routine: This, obviously, may need to be worked up to slowly. Recovering from labor and delivery isn't a walk in the park. But book reading, special coloring books, and continuing with school work will help with the adjustment period because although there is a new baby in the family, her life is continuing in many ways as normal and comfortable.

Allow Toddler to Be Around Baby: When I brought Janni home from the hospital, I wanted to avoid and all things that would cause her harm or germs. When her then 2 year old cousin asked to hold her, I bit my lip and prayed her didn't kill her. Not even kidding. Anything and everything was an immediate danger to her life in my mind and nothing you could say those first 6 weeks would have changed my mind. This time, bring home a baby with a 3 year old sister, keeping her away would be hurtful and impossible. Allowing her to hold, cuddle, kiss, and love on baby while encouraging gentleness will be crucial to help her feel comfortable around the baby. The last thing we want to do is make baby off limits and cause her to grow resentment towards the baby.

One on One Time With Each Parent: Janni is used to having us to herself. She's never had to share us and when I have held another baby, she really seems a bit jealous. I am keeping in mind that those feelings about me holding a baby that isn't ours may be completely non-existent with out own baby and we may have no issues with it at all but we still want her to feel loved and valued and to look forward to time where she has each of us to herself.

Allow Toddler to “Help” with Baby: It's really hard to be in a situation where you feel absolutely, completely useless. I'm sure toddlers feel the same way. By allowing them access to things like diapers, wipes, burp clothes, and the alike, they are likely to jump on the idea of being mommy's special helper when asked to get them. By allowing them to be mommy's big helper, the useless feelings are not there and they are able to feel proud of themselves for being able to help with the new baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment