Thursday, December 25, 2014

Update/ Merry Christmas!

Well, my Mother-in-law got as far with the Induction Chemo that her body would allow her.  She got through the 2nd and then to the first does of round 3 (there are 5 doses, one day after another) when her heart and kidney started to fail, so to speak.  So they pulled her off of the chemo and gave her a day for her heart and kidneys to rest.  The next day, they were reading normal (as normal as somebody flushing terrible toxins out of their body can be) and her heart seemed fine.

She took it as a sign that her body was just done with chemo, that it had had enough.

Now we are waiting until the first week in January to decide further treatment.  As far as we know, there are only 2 options:

1.) Surgically remove the tumors (there are 3, not 1 as I had been led to believe and Zack (her own son) and I have just been informed last week that there were really 3 tumors) from her tongue and then proceed with radiation to kill any left over cancer cells.

2.) Proceed with radiation to shrink the tumors more and save more of her tongue (with each tumor, 50% of the size of the tumor will need to be removed from her tongue as well to ensure that they get any straggling cells) but then that is it.  Radiation is so powerful that there won't be another shot to receive it.  If any of the cancer cells are left behind... then who knows what the options are.

After she receives her treatment,they will take a skin graph off her leg and use it to reconstruct her tongue.

I really can't wait to begin blogging regularly.  I have so many ideas but life has been so rough recently.  I went to a really thorough doctor and she did some blood testing and other testing and actually found why I have been feeling so terrible and now we have a treatment plan to get my body back in shape!  I am super excited to start feeling better!  I start all my treatment tomorrow!

Hope everybody is having a merry, wonderful, family-filled Christmas!

Enjoy you family and presents but always, always, always keep in mind the reason for the season: Our desperate need for the Savior, Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment