Friday, October 28, 2016

A Child That (Sometimes) Won't Pose For Pictures

When Janni was a young baby, it was the absolute hardest thing to get her to pose for pictures.

When I took her to get her one year photos done, the photographer told me that she was one of the hardest babies she'd worked with because she refused to smile for the camera.

Although the photographer managed to get some absolutely delightfully adorable pictures of Janni at 1 year, it was not without some experienced tricks of the trade!




Janni is not at all ADD/ADHD, she simply did not care. She's definitely one of those children who simply doesn't like to be told what to do. "Janni, smile?" Nope. Not happening, Ring Master!


And I've had to learn not to force her to do (most) things, but to let her choose to participate (if she's running in the street, I most definitely force her to get out of it, via grabbing her hand or picking her up if I must and the like). Unfortunately, this probably took us around two years to figure this out, because we're pure geniuses over here, haha! But we no longer force her to to do things. There may be consequences for not doing things, like not sharing may result in nobody gets to play with her toy and we discuss what selfishness is, use a Bible verse work on her heart, and then have her sit in her room and think about her behavior.

The result? It's working wonderfully!! When Janni decides she wants to do something, like share that toy with her friend, it's from the heart and it's real, meaningful thoughtfulness... Not just lip service to prevent getting into trouble or to appease her parents.  Or, if she wants to pose for the camera, they are sweet, happy, not forced smiles and they just make my heart beam with joy that she is my girl!






I think it's been so helpful because as adults, we don't appreciate, nor do we stand to be forced to act outside our own free will. So, why would be think children would appreciate it either?

This parenting thing is hard, and I don't believe that I have it all figured out by any means but I'm grateful to be learning things that are helpful in building my relationship up with my children, like hiding to eat my treat when I don't want to share (haha!) and not forcing my child to begrudgingly pose for a picture... Even if that means my plan for a post about our visit to the Pumpkin Patch yesterday just isn't going to work out!





We had fun on the hayride and in the corn maze any way!  And even though I didn't get any great pictures, she sure is cute, regardless!



No comments:

Post a Comment