Saturday, November 19, 2016

Sweet and Savory Steak Fajitas: Original Recipe

When Zack and I first started dating, he had me over to his apartment and made me chicken fajitas. He had set the table nicely and tried really hard to impress me.  The mood was sweet and thoughtful.  They were a bit spicy (and by that I mean, I could hardly taste the flavors it was so spicy) for my taste, but they were overall pretty good.  Regardless, he did impress me! 

(Photo courtesy of cheat sheet.com)

We've since tried several different flavors for fajitas that were not so spicy that I spend the rest of the night sipping on milk or yogurt for the evening.  We've tried both steak and chicken.

By far, one of our favorite recipes was created out of a, "I wonder if ... " attitude.  Zack was coming home from work and he typically is the one who likes to cook fajitas (so much so that he kicks me out of the kitchen while he cooks them).  I was desperate to have them cooking by the time he got home so I could say in the most pleasant of tones, "oh look, fajitas for dinner. I've got them covered this time ... back off, Buster."  So I added a little of this, a little of that, hoped for the best, and when Zack walked in, smiled sweetly and told him, "Fajitas for dinner, I've got them covered, Love."
I served them to Zack and he nodded his head, asking, "what did you put in them?"  When I told him, he was surprised. 

After we (we meaning Zack, he still kicks me out of the kitchen when it's fajita night) had made them a couple of times, Zack actually said, "this is a recipe that would be worthy to put online."

I agree! It's the perfect taste of sweet and savory with a bit of a spicy kick ... just spicy enough that I'm able to enjoy them.

Ingredients:
3 bell peppers (any color, but we prefer yellow, orange, and red)
1/2 onion
2-3 medium sized steaks
Corn Tortillas
Gucamole (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
Sauce:
1/3 cup terriyake sauce (I used this recipe to make my own, but any kind works)
4 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
Pepper

Slice the steak into strips and add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Slice bell peppers and onion into steps. Add oil to skillet and heat it on medium heat; stir until thinly coated and allow to cook until soft. Remove bell peppers in onion and place aside. Add a teeny bit more oil to skillet and allow to hear up. Add steak strips and allow to cook through. Add cooked bell peppers and add shriracha and teriyaki sauce.

Warm tortillas if you'd like and spoon fajitas mix onto tortillas. Top with sour cream and guacamole and try not to die of delight!!





No comments:

Post a Comment