Thursday, September 18, 2014

Cheryl's Broccoli Salad

I never really cooked too much before I got married.  Sure, I wanted to try a meal out here and there, but never really anything consistent.  When I first got married, I mostly called my Mother-in-law for recipe ideas and help because she knew Zack's taste buds better than I did.

My Mother-in-law had us over one night and made a wonderful dish that I can't recall, but I am sure it was wonderful, because I can honestly say that I have never had a meal at her house that I didn't like!  But I do remember one of the sides dishes that night and I enjoyed it so much that I begged her for the recipe.  It was a really tasty Broccoli Salad.

Recently, we were over at a Home Fellowship Potluck through our church and I brought this dish.  While we were eating, somebody said, "Who made this broccoli salad? Because it is my new favorite thing!"  He asked me for the recipe and while I was writing it out, I decided to name it after my Mother-in-law, Cheryl, since receiving accolades from my burglarized meal just didn't seem right!

It's real easy and a sure hit!

Not sure what that brownish thing on the upper left hand corner is.


Ingredients:
1 head of broccoli
4-5 pieces of bacon
1/2 cup cranberries
1/4-1/2 cup sliced almonds (must be sliced, whole or chopped just don't work right)
1/2 medium red onion, chopped (not diced)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 sugar or 1/2 cup honey

Cook bacon until it is crispy, place on a paper towel to remove excess grease and allow to cool.

In a small bowl, add mayonnaise and sugar or honey.  Stir together well and allow to sit.

Chop the onion in to small pieces.

Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces, discard stem.

In a large bowl, add broccoli, onion, cranberries, and sliced almonds.

Once bacon has cooled, dab any excess grease with the paper towel it is sitting on.  With another paper towel (or just use your hands), crumble the bacon so that it is in small bits.  Add to bowl.

Return to your mayonnaise mixture and stir it. Then add to the large bowl. Stir together well.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.

Be sure to stir it up really good because everything but the broccoli seems to sink to the bottom! Enjoy!

Cheers!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment