Monday, September 15, 2014

The Debt Must Get Paid

I am a former elementary school teacher.  I loved the year and a half that I got to be in the classroom.  I was a nearlywed, first year teacher... and I just so happened to be pregnant, too! I honestly had the sweetest, easy-going class a first year teacher could ever wish for!  Teaching them was work, but they made it so easy and were so considerate of me (their teacher the year before was pregnant as well). They were precious.  But I had a lot on my plate and a lot of those lovely student loans to pay back (I was stupid, stupid, stupid to take out max!!). 

There was no question, after the baby arrived in April of 2013, I would presume the role as stay-at-home-mom.  Our finances would work out eventually.


So, here I am in September of 2014, and I love my role as a SAHM!  It is so rewarding, and Janni is a jewel!  She is such a sweet and affectionate little girl with a mischievous side!  And our debt is getting paid via snowball.  I've struggled and struggled with the idea that I was the one who foolishly took out my loans for college and Zack, my sweet husband, has been and is more than willing to pay my student loans off - it's just going to take a while.

We're doing quite wonderfully on Zack's income.  Zack has his 9-5 job that has always provided more than enough to sustain us and then we're blessed beyond measure all several webdesign, computer repair, nerdy techy side work each month. But I want to pay off my student loans faster and actually help pay them off (since, ya know, I was the smart one to take them out).

I've decided to open up our home and start and in-home daycare.  The idea came up months ago, but I turned my nose up to the idea.  We plan to open up a separate account for this money to be deposited into and then have an automatic withdraw each month to go towards my student loans.  Ideally, we  won't have to touch the money at all!  The program in which I will be certified and running my daycare through id a government DES program, so it is committed to helping provide struggling parents with safe, high quality childcare.

It's a great program and I have an in-home inspection this Friday.  I have been organizing, cleaning, desperately working towards getting this place in an order in which I can prove to the inspector that our home is indeed, a healthy, safe, beneficial environment for children.

I am actually beginning to get very excited about the prospects of this business will be sure to blog the progress and document via picture the transformation of my very large livingroom and Janni's bedroom into an in-home daycare!

I can't wait!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment